Local Support

With the cost of living soaring, we realise that some of our residents may be finding it difficult to pay their bills.

This is some of the support we've been informed is available.

South Norfolk Council

The following services are available from South Norfolk District Council for residents who are facing hardship and do not have access to support through friends or family:

  • to obtain basic essentials

  • if you’re feeling isolated or lonely

  • if you’re worried about issues at home including relationships

  • money worries and hardship

  • provide information about alleviating loneliness/isolation

  • provide information about support to reduce tension in the home, domestic abuse, children

  • provide debt and welfare advice for individuals and families who have are in financial difficulty

  • provide practical advice for older people who find themselves more vulnerable

To get help please follow the link:


The Money Support Service is here for anyone who is a Norfolk County Council service user who needs help with budgeting.

There are many reasons why people struggle with money. It may be a loss of benefits or a job, a relationship breakdown, an increase in living costs or a lack of budgeting skills.

If you have an illness or disability, money worries can lead to a vicious cycle of deteriorating health and difficulty managing household bills.
They can offer help and advice over the phone, or face-to-face support in your own home if needed. 
How they can support you:

  • They offer budget training, to help work out your income and outgoings to give you a better understanding of your finances.

  • Creating a budget is the first step towards taking control of your finances and getting your situation back on track.

  • If you’re struggling to keep track of your money, they can also provide the following help:

  • Money advice

  • Support to reduce high bills

  • Support with referral to debt management agencies

  • Support with Disability Related Expenses within financial assessments

  • Referrals to the Welfare Rights team to help with complex benefit issues where appropriate

Telephone: 01603 223392 (option 4)
Email: MSS@norfolk.gov.uk
Website: www.norfolk.gov.uk/mss 
A flyer can be found at https://www.norfolkalc.gov.uk/uploads/money-support-leaflet.pdf

Scope offer free energy and water advice to disabled people, helping them to manage their energy and water needs.
The service is open to any disabled person or households where one or more disabled people live, and those households are in England or Wales.

Demand for telephone appointments is high but new appointments are being released each week.

Telephone: 0808 801 0828
You can also get advice by email at Disability.EnergySupport@Scope.org.uk.

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.
The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:
British Gas Energy Trust – apply for a grant on the British Gas Energy Trust website https://britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/grants-available/
Ovo Energy Fund – apply for a grant on the Ovo Energy Fund website
E.ON Next Energy Fund – apply for a grant on the E.ON Next Energy Fund website https://www.eonenergy.com/more-for-your-home/energy-fund.html
EDF Energy Customer Support Fund – apply for a grant on the EDF Energy Customer Support Fund website https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-centre/faq/extra-support-when-you-need-it?steps=23147#chapter-23146-6
Octopus ‘Octo Assist Fund’ – apply for a grant on the Octopus website
If you can’t get a grant from your supplier, check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust. These grants are available to anyone – you don’t have to be a British Gas customer.
For older people (of/over state retirement age) don’t forget the Friends of the elderly charity grants
Friends of the Elderly provides small grants (normally up to £400) to older people who meet all of the following criteria::
Resident in England and Wales
Of/over state pension age
Who are living on low incomes and with little savings
Who do not fit the criteria for other funders
Their grant streams include:
FINANCIAL SUPPORT grants are help with unexpected bills and large costs such as utility bills, funeral costs for loved ones, moving fees etc.